Friday, July 24, 2009

Reality check

For most things in life, familiarity makes even the most beautiful of things lose their luster after a while. And I fear that after having lived here for over 16 months now, I've started taking Amsterdam's beauty for granted. There are moments however when reality sets in and I again realize how special it is to be here.

On warm summer evenings, around 9 o'clock at night, when the sun is still an hour away from hiding and there are only a few people on the streets... .
When a light breeze blows as I'm biking home along the canal at night while watching a team of rowers glide across the water... .
As the glow of the evening sun gleams off the windows of 200 year old buildings making the city look magical... .
Those are the moments that take my breath away.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Oh how I wish I was there to see it! Sounds perfect! I have felt that same way here many times-great feeling.
Your mom gave a great talk on Sunday and told us how she paid you to write it for her. It really was hilarious! She was wonderful.