Wednesday, August 26, 2009

How to say "Happy 29th" in Norwegian.


How does one celebrate the first day of the very last year in their 20's? Should they wake up in a hostel and fall asleep in a 4 star hotel? Would they eat their way through Oslo? How about celebrate with a huge slice of red velvet cake, which they haven't seen in well over a year and a half since moving to the
Netherlands? Maybe going to museums would be more their thing, or quite possibly sitting at the waterfront would suit their fancy. OR, since it is their 29th birthday, maybe they'd start that year off right by doing it all. At least, that's what I did.

The day I had planned was entirely different from what had occurred. If everything had gone as planned, we would have left the hostel around the same time the sun came up in order for us to make our 8:00am train. We would have then spent half the day riding one train after another, and the other half in Flam. I thought it would be an awesome way to spend a birthday -- seeing what was proclaimed as the most beautiful parts of Norway, even with a horribly early start to a day. But, alas, if I've learned one thing in my life it is this: all the plans I make that inevitably fall through always turn out so much better than I could have imagined.

Due to the plan changes, we were able to have a relaxing morning and enjoy the buffet breakfast at the hostel. By 9:30 we were back at the tourist information booking our night's stay at the Radisson for half the price. And by 10 am we had our luggage safely packed away in our room which had a wonderful view overlooking the entire city from the 22nd floor.

The rest of the day followed suit in the relaxation department and couldn't have been a more pleasant birthday. Upon leaving the hotel, we explored the newly built Opera House and took the ferry over to the museum section of town where we spent a large chunk of our day. First stop was the folks museum. They had an entire exhibit just for me: on the 1980's. Made me wonder how they knew I was coming! I saw toys I grew up playing with, posters of TV shows I watched, old school computers, and the quintessential 1980's living room which left me wanting to wear high tops, bright colored clothing and poofy bangs. The best part of the exhibit, though, was the huge banner which said "But out of the entire decade, the most important event that occurred was Claire's birth!" Such a shame I forgot to take a picture of that. The rest of the museum was just as nice with folk dancing, flat bread, wooden houses and horses who roll on their backs.
We then saw the Viking museum, that could have been more detailed, and the Kon Tiki museum which was about the voyage of a Norwegian scientist on a balsa raft. My birthday dinner was top notch and we were in definite need of an evening walk after having eaten so much. So, we made our way down to the castle and fortress located on the waterfront before heading back to the hotel to eat a giant slice of red velvet cake and ice cream.

And Oslo gave me the best present it could: not a drop of rain!

2 comments:

Ader Family said...

That sounds like a terrific birthday. And to put up a banner for you - that's amazing!! ;)
Glad you had a wonderful birthday!!

mike and jenn said...

Happy Birthday Claire! I am such a good friend. I haven't looked at your blog for awhile. It sure sounds like you are having fun. I am just running crazy after two sweet(usually) girls and we are expecting another girl in January. Hope all is well.
Love,
Jenn