Friday, January 8, 2010

Nurnberg Lebkuchen

Trains aren't like what they used to be.  Once upon a time, or so I am told, trains were the mode of transport within Europe.  For the common backpacker trains still are the best option, thanks to the Eurail passes.  But for those of us who live in the continent, prices have sky rocked- leaving us no choice but take the quicker option which doesn't cost much more (or drastically less, if using a discount airline).  So I flew into Nuremberg to go "home" for Christmas, thus cutting down my travel time by 4 hours.

Despite the sub-freezing temperatures I still stated "the Christmas market" when my mom asked me what I wanted to do as soon as she picked me up.  20 minutes later we were parked and in the city center for a nose chilling hour.  We would have stayed longer, especially since there was so much more to see, if it weren't for the fear that our fingers were going to fall off due to frostbite.
But our purpose in going was satisfied.  See, I was told by a friend before I left for Germany that I had to eat a lebkuchen for her.  Honestly, I hadn't a clue what type of cookie she was talking about, but told her I would anyway.  She then gave specific instructions that I eat a fresh one straight from the heart of Nuremberg.  Always wanting to appease family and friends, especially when it involves me eating food, I made sure to fulfill her wishes.
Lebkuchen, so I discovered, is a peppery, flaky yet chewy, ginger-like cookie.  They come in a wide range of shapes, sizes and flavors.  I quickly opted for the chocolate covered one which I found to be quite tasty, although my mom wrinkled her nose in disgust after taking a bite. So, I was left with the unfortunate task of eating the rest on my own... which I did gladly. 

Before I end, I would just like to leave a word of caution.  Do NOT, under any circumstances, attempt to eat a lebkuchen if it has been packaged.  They're horrendously disgusting, which I learned when I tried one at my mom's house later that day.  So the specific instructions my friend left with me, I pass on to you: only eat a fresh one straight from the heart of Nuremberg.  Otherwise, you'll be highly disappointed.

No comments: