Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Enjoyment

If I had expected a relaxing trip back to the states, I would have had a rude awakening.  Most days (at least the ones in North Carolina) I was up and out of the house by 6:45am and didn't return until 10:30pm.  And I loved every second.

  • I loved holding my nephew, and seeing him love me so much that he'd cry (with joy, I'd like to think) each time I came near him.
  • I loved knocking off the items of my wish list, restaurant for restaurant, purchase by purchase. 
  • I loved spending time with my brother and his wife, and watch their apartment transform from a near empty shell with just an air mattress to sleep on, to a fully furnished, entirely decorated dwelling - in 10 days.
  • I loved seeing my dad and receiving packed lunches made especially for me, so that his "little girl won't go hungry at work."
  • I even loved working back in my old office... but as a DUTCH employee, in order to somewhat distance myself from my previous work life.  
  • And I loved, loved spending afternoons and evenings with friends, eating ice cream for dinner or cheesecake at the Cheesecake factory.
I just had to continually remind myself that life wouldn't be like the little vacation I was having if I returned permanently. Because, I really enjoyed my visit back to North Carolina... even while enduring 90+ Fahrenheit degree weather with 100% humidity and torrential rains.

2 comments:

ReL said...

Awww! Sounds like a lovely time and what a cute baby!

Jennifer Long said...

Which sibling had kids? Boy, that makes me feel old.....email me a "catch-up" on your fam & a list of essentials e.g. restaurants, shopping, need to know about Durham if you get a chance.